Friday, March 20, 2015

Restore Your Hair Extensions

Restoring Your Dry or Lifeless Hair Extensions





        Do you have a pair of hair extensions that are so bad, you are thinking of throwing them out? I know I did. I love long big hair, but instead it looked like I was walking around with a rats nest. I couldn't even run my fingers through my hair. Not glamorous at all. I found myself having to brush these big balls of knots out every hour or so. 
        
        So how come all the deep conditioning, oils, and sprays did nothing to revive these expensive hair pieces? I don't even want to tell you how much I paid. I had these extensions put in with silicone beads. Once it started to ball up, (which wasn't very long) I bought the tool to remove them from my hair and sewed clips in. 
        
       These are my first hair extensions. The hairdresser bought the 100% Human Remy hair for me. It was gorgeous and soft but unfortunately that didn't last. There is a synthetic hair out there that can be heated and curled. I think I will try that next. 

        What I did not know is that the hair is chemically processed in the factory. It is stripped
of the cuticle so that it can be machine processed without regard for direction or root-tip alignment. If the cuticle were left in but the root-tip alignment mixed up, the microscopic scales that form the cuticle would be opposed and snag on each other causing tangling.  The  negative effects of stripping the cuticle are brittleness, reduced protection from sunlight, dryness, salt, chlorine and pollution as well as a tendency to absorb liquids and swell or matte.
  What can fix this? A bleach bath.  Yes, bleach. It works....trust me. 
        
        So without further ado, a step by step instruction for a chemical bleach bath to restore your hair extensions...


        What you will need
Bleach (Any brand, I got mine at the dollar store)
Ammonia
Wide tooth comb
Container for your sink 
Gloves
Measuring cup
Silicon conditioner (Most important ingredient)




Fill your container with one gallon of water




Pour 1 cup Bleach and set your timer to two minutes. Do not leave in for longer than 2 minutes.  Add your hair and use your brush to gently take out any tangles.




After two minutes take your hair out and rinse completely. To avoid bleach and ammonia mixing together, (Mixing these will create a dangerous and toxic vapor gas dump your bleach water out and wash container with soap.  Fill up again with 1 gallon of water and add 1 cup of ammonia. Dip your hair in the ammonia bath for another 2 minutes.




Completely rinse your hair again and squeeze excess water out. Coat the hair with the Silicone conditioner and place in a baggie. 



I left mine to deep condition over night. The next day I rinsed it and let it air dry. I couldn't believe how silky, smooth, and manageable it was again. So the next time your thinking of tossing that hair out, try this. It sounds scary but its not and the results are AMAZING!















No comments:

Post a Comment